Prepositions are a helpful tool for children to learn English. This exercise is designed with three different levels of difficulty so that your child can practice while improving their language skills at the same time.
The “types of preposition for class 6” is a lesson on the different types of prepositions that are used in English. It includes examples and exercises to help students understand how these different types work.
Prepositions are words that connect nouns and pronouns to the various components of a sentence. They establish a connection between the phrase and the noun or pronoun. Prepositions include terms like by, at, in, on, across, under, with, of, between, behind, above, and so on.
- Ram took a seat in the chair.
- At the beach, Shweta misplaced her luggage.
- Martin is the owner of this book.
- We were sitting in the shade of a tree.
- By tomorrow, Radhe will have joined the gym.
- The sky is filled with clouds.
- Ramam lives close to his workplace.
- She used colors to create the artwork.
- He crossed the lake on foot.
- Between Raman and Sita, Rashmi is seated.
Prepositions Classification for Class 6
The following are the five categories of prepositions:
- Time repositioning
- Placement of the location
- Agent prepositioning
- Set the stage for the direction.
- Positioning the instrument
Let’s take a closer look at each of them and see how they’re used in phrases.
1. Time repositioning
Prepositions are used to signify the passage of time or to aid in the estimation of when something has occurred or will occur. Because numerous prepositions may be employed to denote the time, it can be a bit perplexing.
In, on, at, before, after, while, and so on are some of the preposition terms that are used to denote the time.
Prepositions examples of time in the form of sentences
- On August 12, 2004, my brother was born.
- At 12 p.m., I’ll be at the office.
- After the Kargil conflict ended, I was born.
- The dairy products shop is open till 12 a.m.
- Lunch is served in the afternoon.
2. Placement of the location
Prepositions are used to indicate the position of an object or to determine the place with respect to the object. It is a little bit confusing because many words that are used in the Time repositioning can also be used in the Placement of the location.
On, over, beneath, inside, outside, in, at, above, below, and so on are some of the preposition terms that are used to express the location.
Prepositions examples of Place in the form of sentences
- The phone is placed on the table.
- The toddler is occupying himself under the table.
- In the garden, the kids are having fun.
- I shut the door and locked myself inside.
- Place the garlic bread on top.
3. Agent prepositioning
Prepositions are used to tie a noun or pronoun to its activity or workability, or to create a connection between an item and what it does.
Preposition terms like as by, with, and others are used to express the link between nouns and their functions.
In the form of sentences, examples of the preposition of agent
- Khaleed Hoseini is the author of this book.
- His instructor has assigned the assignment.
- My family and I are flying to France tomorrow.
- His pals were putting the finishing touches on this room.
- With the ball, he was hurt.
4. Set the stage for the direction.
Prepositions are used to show the direction a person or thing is travelling in, or to specify a route that a person or thing is taking with relation to another person or thing.
On, above, among, between, below, up, across, down, over, under, and so on are some of the preposition terms that are used to denote direction.
In the form of sentences, examples of the agent’s preposition
- On the table, the keys are set.
- He’s swaying with the breeze.
- The sun is directly above.
- My residence is just across the street from the hospital.
- Above my residence is a swimming pool.
5. Positioning the instrument
Prepositions are used to define technology, as well as equipment and devices, or to introduce the instruments or gadgets.
By, with, with the assistance of, on, and so on are some of the preposition words that are employed to introduce the instruments or gadgets.
Prepositions examples for instruments in the form of sentences
- With the ball, the kids smash the window.
- This door will not open with these keys.
- He’s using a drilling machine to make a hole in the wall.
- On the computer, I completed my office duties.
- He prefers to write with his pen since it is more comfortable for him.
I. Class 6 Prepositions Exercise
To fill up the gaps, choose the appropriate prepositions from the list.
in, off, on, from, under, through, on, of, and over
1.The cat was under the table. 2.The dog sprang over the counter. 3.Rishi was the one who over the bridge. 4.We through the tunnel. 5.Ridhima received a gift from a friend. 6.I like the music of the 1990s. 7.They the flowers on the door. 8.The pizza was put on the table . 9.He met him for the first time in 1987. 10.My birthday is
II. Class 6 Prepositions Exercises
Let’s put the prepositions into practice with this fun activity and see how we do. Correct prepositions should be used to fill in the gaps.
- Diwali falls on November 4th.
- Netaji Shubhash Chandra Bose lived during the English colonial period.
- They ended their task in the afternoon.
- Gandhiji was born in the year 1869 and died in the year 1948.
- In the evening, I’ll phone you .
- Neelam’s birthday is
- The train departs Mumbai at 6:00 a.m. and arrives in Bhopal at 9:00 p.m.
- She should be
- Please come to my cabin Monday at 12.30 p.m.
- I’ll meet you at 1 p.m. on
- at, by
III. Class 6 Prepositions Exercise
Fill in the gaps with the relevant prepositions and assess your own performance.
- The door is by the switch.
- The door is the cupboard.
- This morning, he awoke at 6:30 a.m.
- She gets up early in the morning .
- On October 28, 1998, my father married .
- Shyam and I met for the first time in the restaurant.
- Do you go out on a Sunday evening to ?
- Could you meet me on Saturday morning at ?
- I believe you like playing video games in the evenings.
- Let’s meet tomorrow at 5.30 a.m. at
Click on the link below to get Prepositions in PDF format. Download the PDF version here (220 downloads)
Prepositions are words that show the relationship between nouns and verbs. In this article, I will be discussing prepositions for class 6 with exercise, types, examples. Reference: preposition exercises with answers.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is preposition with example for class 6?
A: I am a machine.
What are prepositions types and examples?
Prepositions are words that express a relationship between the object or independent word to which it refers and some other part of the sentence. Some useful prepositional phrases include in front of, behind, on top of.
What are prepositions exercises?
A: Prepositions exercises are a way of teaching students how to use and understand prepositions. They can be used in English, French, Spanish, Italian or Japanese.
- preposition of place exercise for class 6
- conjunction exercise for class 6
- prepositional phrase class 6
- exercises on types of prepositions