Correct grammar is a skill that can be learned and nurtured. Here are some activities for you to use at home or in the classroom with your student!
Subject Verb Agreement worksheet, Rules, PDF
The “subject verb agreement worksheets with answers pdf” is a PDF document that includes worksheets for the subject of “subject verb agreement.” The rules are given in the document.
Hello, Performdigi Learners! Today we will cover the topic of Verb Agreement in class 6. and the subject-verb agreement norms for class 6 as well as a subject-verb agreement exercise with solutions for class 6. Download a free pdf of a subject-verb agreement exam for class 6.
In class 6, what is the subject-verb agreement?
Definition: Subject-verb agreement refers to the norms that must be observed by the subject and the verb. It aids in the phrasing of coherent phrases, allowing it to be read quickly and effectively.
There are several basic guidelines that must be observed while framing sentences.
1. A single subject is assigned to a singular verb, while a plural subject is assigned to a plural verb.
- Rita attends school every day. (On a single topic)
- In the evenings, we play football. (Singular topic)
- Rachel is an Australian citizen. (On a single topic)
- In class, the students scream. (Singular topic)
- Reena is a fantastic singer. (On a single topic)
2. Singular verbs are used for all third-person and singular-number subjects, whereas plural verbs are used for all other subjects.
- She performs a dance during the yearly event. (Singular third-person subject)
- You are the one who collects the money from him. (Singular topic)
- My mum is really fond of me. (Subject with a single digit)
- In the morning, they go for a stroll. (Singular topic)
- He is a graceful cricket player. (On a single topic)
3. The terms or, either/or, neither/nor, not only/but also agree on the verb according to the closest subject in the phrase (noun or pronoun).
- The glass has been shattered by either Karan or Atul. (the topic closest to you is single)
- On the balcony is my nephew or relative. (the topic closest to you is single)
- Neither Ram nor Richa are Marathi speakers. (the topic closest to you is single)
- The regulations have been breached by either the instructor or his pupils. (the topic closest to you is plural)
- The home has been adorned not just by the mother but also by the children. (the topic closest to you is plural)
4. When the word ‘and’ connects two or more subjects, use the plural verb in the phrase.
- Ravi and Rohit are great pals.
- Mines are a vehicle and a bike.
- Fire and ice are diametrically opposed.
- Mohit and I had been classmates since we were children.
- A collision occurred between a truck and an automobile.
5. Words like together with, as well as, besides, not, and others are sometimes used to divide a single subject from the verb. When the topic is single, disregard these terms and use a singular verb.
- She joins in on the fun.
- In an interview, your attitude, as well as your voice tone, are crucial.
- After all, it’s my word against yours.
6. When considering distances, periods of time, quantities of money, and other items as a unit, use a single verb.
- Walking four kilometers is too far.
- The loan has a five-year payback duration.
- This carpet costs two thousand rupees, which is a lot of money.
- This project can be completed in two months.
- Eighty miles is an excessively long distance to go.
7. Each, each one, either, neither, everyone, everyone, anybody, anyone, nobody, someone, someone, and no one are singular and need a single verb.
- A medal is given to each member of the squad.
- He is neither academically nor athletically gifted.
- Anyone from the institution is welcome to enter the competition.
- Our culture is being invaded by someone.
- Everyone in the room was completely unconcerned.
8. Singular verbs are used with nouns like civics, mathematics, and news.
- The topic of economics is concerned with the economy.
- For most pupils, mathematics is a difficult subject.
- This information has gone viral on social media.
- Civics is the study of the political system.
- Physics is a fascinating topic to study.
9. When referring to something single, words like half of, majority of, and percentage of use a singular verb, but plural verbs when referring to something multiple.
- The assignment has been finished in half.
- The bulk of the attendees wore red clothing.
- The first half of the test has been completed.
- The majority of our bodies are made up of water.
- The measure has the support of the majority of people.
10. Don’t pay attention to the modifiers between the subject and the verb.
- Her present was a bunch of flowers.
- The burglar takes a backpack stuffed with cash.
- This lovely gown is somewhat pricey.
- The jug of water has spilled upon the table.
- Shailesh, the youngest of three brothers, is a bright young man.
11. Depending on the context of the phrase, collective nouns might be single or plural.
- The measure is now being debated in the Cabinet.
- The pair is having a good time at the party.
- In the auditorium, members of parliament are yelling.
- The Indian dancing troupe has been on the road for two months.
- After ten days, the Indian army has finally vanquished the militants.
I. Verb-subject agreement 6th grade exercises
Let’s see how far we can go with this eclectic exercise based on subject-verb agreement norms. Complete the sentences using the proper words.
- On the issues made by the opposition, the Cabinet . (debate/debates)
- At school, Raju and his brothers . (is/are)
- Outside, the cat or the dogs . (are/is)
- My shocks or your coat are usually on the floor. (is/are)
- Rachi and Raman are eager to watch the film. (doesn’t/don’t)
- Richa is the one who knows the solution. (don’t/doesn’t)
- A vacation to Paris is planned for one of my sisters. (are/is)
- On my street, there was a guy with lovely birds. (lives/lived)
- The film takes roughly two hours to view. (takes, takes, takes, takes, takes, takes, takes, takes, takes
- The players and skipper both Want to win. (want/wants)
- Either response is acceptable. (are/is)
- Each of these novels is a work of fiction. (is/were)
- Nobody has ever the kind of problems I’ve witnessed. (know/knows)
- the news at six o’clock or seven o’clock? (Is/Are)
II. Worksheet for 6th graders on subject-verb agreement
Let’s see if we can solve this random exercise on subject-verb agreement. Choose the appropriate words to complete the phrases below.
- Ravi and his brother (are) cricket players.
- Ankit (doesn’t/doesn’t) like basketball.
- Either of you has (or has attempted to steal) my pen.
- Your slacks (are) on the highest shelf.
- My family (comes from/comes from) Madhya Pradesh.
- Mr. Pandey and his family are well-liked and respected.
- Ridhima is a fantastic singer.
- It takes roughly three hours to read the whole book, including all portions.
- Every day, we (eat/eats) supper together.
- In the restaurant, Abhishek and his buddies (meet/meet) every day.
- does not
Click on the link below to obtain a free copy of the subject-verb agreement for class 6 students. Download the PDF version here (378 downloads)
The “subject verb agreement worksheets with answers 8th grade” is a PDF document that contains subject verb agreement rules for 8th graders. The document also includes some worksheet exercises.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a subject verb agreement PDF?
A: A subject verb agreement PDF is a document that indicates which words in the sentence should be capitalized, and what these words are.
What is the 10 rules on subject verb agreement?
A: Subject verb agreement refers to the way in which verbs agree with their subjects, or how nouns are marked for gender and number.
What are the basic rules in subject verb agreement?
A: The basic rules of subject verb agreement are that the subject of a sentence must match with the first word in its clause and verbs, adjectives, adverbs, and objects all follow their respective subjects.
- subject-verb agreement worksheets with answers 7th grade pdf
- subject verb agreement worksheets pdf
- collective nouns subject verb agreement worksheets pdf
- subject-verb agreement rules grade 6
- subject verb agreement worksheet grade 5 pdf